rheasilvia: (Writing fountain pen)
[personal profile] rheasilvia
So I was talking about The Untamed with [personal profile] galaxysoup and, you guys, I've found the perfect group noun for Lans!

A regulation of Lans. :-)


ETA:

A few more clans have acquired group nouns in the comments! Namely:

  • An extravagance of Jins (discovered by the brilliant [personal profile] glymr)

  • A devastation of Wens (also a [personal profile] glymr creation)

  • A valor of Nies (which I think suits all of them!)

None are quite as perfect as the regulation of Lans, IMO, but still. ;-)

Date: 2020-02-04 12:00 pm (UTC)
lauand: (Gojyo - Fuck up)
From: [personal profile] lauand
XDD!

Very apt :)

Date: 2020-02-04 12:07 pm (UTC)
extrapenguin: Wei Wuxian from The Untamed drawing a magic seal (wei wuxian)
From: [personal profile] extrapenguin
Oh no, it's perfect! (Now I want to know the group nouns for the other sects, too. A tantrum of Jins? *g*)

Date: 2020-02-04 12:13 pm (UTC)
solo: (CCL Pretty Wei Ying)
From: [personal profile] solo
A rage of Jiangs?

Date: 2020-02-04 12:57 pm (UTC)
solo: (Default)
From: [personal profile] solo
True, neither does the rage... a variation of Jiangs?

Date: 2020-02-04 02:48 pm (UTC)
glymr: The core members of the S.I.D. with their hands together in a "Go Team" gesture. Text says: Teamwork (teamwork)
From: [personal profile] glymr
An extravagance of Jins. :)

Date: 2020-02-04 02:53 pm (UTC)
glymr: (Default)
From: [personal profile] glymr
XD Perhaps a "passion" of Jiangs?

Date: 2020-02-04 03:05 pm (UTC)
glymr: Qin Xiaoman from Detective L with a big smile. (grin)
From: [personal profile] glymr
Not sure I agree that Yanli isn't passionate - she isn't as loud as her brother(s), but her feelings for her family and for her eventual fiance ran quite deep (to the point that she was secretly sneaking him soup). Don't forget her defense of Wei Wuxian, too.

But keeping in mind the Jiang family motto, how about:

An impossibility of Jiangs?

The Nies are tricky...I like "A rage of Nies", though it doesn't really fit Huisang...or does it...?

Date: 2020-02-04 03:41 pm (UTC)
glymr: Guardian Characters facing each other with the Chinese characters "worth it" over the image (WorthIt)
From: [personal profile] glymr
The Jiang family motto is "accomplish the impossible" (at least, I believe that's how the subtitles I saw interpreted it). Hence, "an impossibility". :)

I think Huisang does feel rage, though - it's just a cold, quiet rage. If I were to create a group noun based on only him (which is admittedly a paradox) I would call it a "revenge of Huisangs", but I don't know that 'rage' is inappropriate for him either. It just shows up differently.

You suggested "a murder of Wens", which I like, but I want to suggest "a devastation of Wens" fits both what they did and what was done to them.
Edited Date: 2020-02-04 03:41 pm (UTC)

Date: 2020-02-04 04:31 pm (UTC)
glymr: Qin Xiaoman from Detective L looking puzzled. (huh?)
From: [personal profile] glymr
I like valor! I was also going to suggest a "pugnacity" of Nies. XD

A difficulty of Jiangs! They certainly are. The three actual Jiangs we know are all very different, Jiang Yanli and Jiang Cheng are polar opposites, and we don't see all that much of Jiang Dad. What do they have in common?

Date: 2020-02-04 03:53 pm (UTC)
extrapenguin: Wei Wuxian (from Modao Zushi) playing the flute in front of a red Sun. (mdzs)
From: [personal profile] extrapenguin
(What is the Jiang family motto? I confess I don't remember...)
It's 知其不可而为之, which is a quote from the Analects of Confucius. I gathered some translations of it last year; it's roughly along the lines of "do the right thing, even if it'll fail".

Date: 2020-02-04 06:32 pm (UTC)
extrapenguin: Wei Wuxian (from Modao Zushi) playing the flute in front of a red Sun. (mdzs)
From: [personal profile] extrapenguin
Based on the novel, it only applied to Wei Wuxian, sort of, in that he did what he considered to be the moral thing, but in the worst possible way. IDK how much they changed the characterizations for the drama.

Date: 2020-02-04 12:14 pm (UTC)
solo: (CCL Kissyface)
From: [personal profile] solo
That is simply perfect!

Date: 2020-02-04 12:56 pm (UTC)
solo: (CCL Han Guan Jun judges you)
From: [personal profile] solo
A condescension of Jins? A conceit of Jins? :D

Date: 2020-02-04 02:45 pm (UTC)
dancing_serpent: (The Untamed - Lan Zhan - sword)
From: [personal profile] dancing_serpent
OMG, that's perfect!

Date: 2020-02-04 04:54 pm (UTC)
dancing_serpent: (The Untamed - Lan Zhan - sword)
From: [personal profile] dancing_serpent
I was about to suggest "an ostentation of Jins", but I see you've already found something else. *g*

Date: 2020-02-04 03:25 pm (UTC)
branchandroot: oak against sky (Default)
From: [personal profile] branchandroot
*nearly snarfs coffee up her nose* Oh, that's perfect. *cackling*

Hmm. A storm of Nies? Which might even have enough variation to encompass Huaisang.

Date: 2020-02-04 04:56 pm (UTC)
branchandroot: oak against sky (Default)
From: [personal profile] branchandroot
Oh, I like that! Nie and Jiang seem to be the risk-takers, among the large clans, but Nie is more, hm, intentional about it as a school than Jiang.

Date: 2020-02-04 08:12 pm (UTC)
trobadora: (Default)
From: [personal profile] trobadora
Hee, perfect!

Date: 2020-02-04 11:27 pm (UTC)
ranalore: (the untamed yunmeng siblings)
From: [personal profile] ranalore
Hah! I love all of these.

Supposedly, Jiangs are best known for their free spirits and...some other character trait I can't remember now, but there's a Tumblr post that got into the essential traits, color schemes, and typical hair styles/decorations of the various clans (the Jiangs are the only clan not to have a typical thing going on with their hair, which seems appropriate). Netflix never really clarifies what their motto is, but various bits of dialogue explicate that it includes attempting/achieving the impossible, but also attempting nothing until you will achieve something. So...yeah. The "achieve the impossible" bit is the one that gets referenced most often.

Assuming you're including Wei Wuxian (and I'd hope you would), I'm tempted to suggest an extra of Jiangs. I do think it applies to Jiang Fengmian (certainly when dealing with his wife) and to Jiang Yanli, who does a hell of a polite build-up to a diplomatic evisceration for insulting her baby brother on Baifeng Mountain.

Date: 2020-02-05 01:58 am (UTC)
galaxysoup: (Snack Tribe)
From: [personal profile] galaxysoup
These are all amazing!!

I submit that any group being led by Wei Wuxian, whatever their original allegiances were, immediately becomes 'a rebellion'. :D

Date: 2020-02-07 01:15 pm (UTC)
galaxysoup: (Snack Tribe)
From: [personal profile] galaxysoup
For sure... but the non-Lans in the group do start yelling at their parents in the Burial Mounds and at the docks later. Maybe the baby Lans are just more of a slow boil?

Date: 2020-02-05 02:23 pm (UTC)
kimboo_york: Xicheng yinyang by Goss (Xicheng by Goss)
From: [personal profile] kimboo_york
I love all of these! But then I also thought, Wei?

A Circus of Weis
A Brave of Weis
A Courage of Weis
A Pluck of Weis

...dunno. hmmm

Date: 2020-02-09 12:32 am (UTC)
unrelaxing: (Default)
From: [personal profile] unrelaxing
Could a more perfect word apply? I DON'T THINK SO.

I'm also very very keen on 'a devastation of Wens', very badass.

Profile

rheasilvia: (Default)
rheasilvia

June 2020

S M T W T F S
  123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
2829 30    

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 12th, 2026 10:52 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios